You see a lot of transformations online. Heck I love posting some of the amazing transformations my clients have achieved - see here. However, what I would like to emphasise here is that, behind the improvement in body shape, is a myriad of other changes that, for me, outweigh the physical changes one undergoes.
So this post has largely been contributed by my clients, who often tell me about how much other aspects of their lives have improved since changing their body. Enjoy!
- Greater Strength: One of the central tenets of my training is to improve my clients' strength. Getting stronger is so crucially important for day to day life. For example, Daniel Blakemore - see Dan's story here - cites that general day-to-day activities feel much easier after training for a few months. This can be a great benefit for anyone with a physical job too. Dan states that: "reaching up to grab something from a shelf when your arms feel strong is great... the feeling of pulling your own weight off the ground is amazing when you've never done it before".
- Improved Posture: Sitting at a desk can be a real killer. In fact sitting for long periods has been described as one of the biggest challenges to good health we face today. The deleterious effects of sitting for prolonged periods on health and well-being are starting to become much better understood. The total economic cost of work-related injuries and illnesses is estimated to be $60 billion in Australia alone. I wrote a post last year about some simple stretches that can be done whilst sitting at your desk that can be found here. Improved posture is a common improvement cited by my clients. I always assess a clients' posture when they begin working with me. Improvements in posture can completely change the way someone looks. It also goes a long way to reduce pain (see blow) and improve confidence (see across).
- Reduced Pain: People often carry chronic pain around with them for years. My aim with every client is that first and foremost they are pain free. "I've also noticed that my posture, back pain and shoulder pain have improved significantly. I used to bend down like I was an old man but now things are alot better." (Adib Naghi).
- Improved Productivity: Client Eric had this to say: "I saw radical change in my physical self, and as a result have had the confidence to change other parts- like my reading ability, or my career interactions.... About four months in two training, I was in a meeting with my business partner and two clients. Everyone was having a shared conversation about books that they had read- I had nothing to contribute- another preconceived notion of myself was that I was never a strong reader. I had enough of being left out of these reading based conversations. So I downloaded a speed reading app for my ipad and read a book on speed reading. 2 weeks later, I had doubled my reading speed. 2 months later, I've read 30 books. I've read books on Behavioral Finance, I've read a book on what its like to be a dog, I've read motivational books" (Eric Finnell)
- More Confidence: I think this is perhaps the 'keystone' change that allows so many other positive changes to occur. I think improved confidence is perhaps the most commonly stated benefit of improving body composition. Confidence comes in many guises, but I often hear client's state that they are more confident socially, more confident in their clothes and more confident in their own skin: "I saw radical change in my physical self, and as a result have had the confidence to change other parts- like my reading ability, or my career interactions." (Eric Finnell)
- Removing Self-Limiting Beliefs: Client Eric had the following to say about the change in his mindset: "After 33 years, I had formed a lot of ideas about myself. Things like "I'm not creative, I just work harder than my peers" or "I don't like reading" or "I'm not a very emotional person." I think that we all form these things. Like stereotypes, they are shortcuts in thinking, or ways of thinking that protect yourself from failure. My level of fitness was one of these ways of thinking.
The one thing that remained constant through different diets and workout programs is that I've always remained a bit overweight. I wouldn't say that I felt good about it, I'd just say I was used to it. Previously, I might get in shape, only to fall back out of shape. I was so used to this cycle in fact that when I started with Paul, I didn't even have the goal of having a six pack- I just wanted to learn proper form to stop hurting myself in the gym.
After a couple of weeks, I started seeing results. After a couple of months, I blew past any result I thought possible. 6 months later without any relapse in getting overweight, I've found that real change is possible. It really shook up all of my preconceived stereotypes of self. I think if anything, working with Paul shook up my preconceived thoughts of self." (Eric Finnell)
- Improved Mood & Reduced Stress: Client Adib had the following to say with regard to the transformation in mood and stress levels: "Changes have also included a boost in mood and morale with stress levels going significantly down since the start of the transformation. And I’ve also become generally more focused and motivated on tasks." (Adib Naghi)